Sunday, December 20, 2009

Roger Ebert's Top 10 Mainstream Films of 2009


Before I get to my gushing post on Avatar, I thought I'd share Roger Ebert's top 10 mainstream films of 2009. Note: my parents raised me on limited TV and that Leno and Siskel were superior to their counterparts. Now, I'm trying to write for TV, prefer Letterman over Leno, and think Ebert is one of the best critics out there.

Ebert's list, in no order (I think):

Bad Lieutenant
Crazy Heart
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Knowing
Precious
A Serious Man
Up in the Air
The White Ribbon
Avatar* (he gives this a Special Jury Prize, not sure what that means to him)

That's right, KNOWING is one of the best of the year. And I totally agree.

Though I don't think this was a particularly great year for movies, I think this was a GREAT year for FUN movies, particularly Avatar, Knowing, Bad Lieutenant, Inglourious Basterds, Drag Me To Hell, and even Bruno.

Well done, 2009!

No comments: