Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How You Know When You're Watching Gold: "Casual Sex?"

I am really pleased with myself for sticking with "Casual Sex?" last night, and I thought I'd help you figure out if a movie is worth watching starting at 12:45am.

1) When not only can you NOT rent it on Netflix, but it's also ONLY available packaged with another movie. Check.
(For the squinters, it's "Cold Comfort Farm" starring Kate Beckinsale, a 1995 TV movie, that's described on IMDB as "In England in the early 1930's, 20 year old Flora Poste, recently orphaned and left with only 100 pounds a year, goes to stay with distant relatives on Cold Comfort Farm." What this has to do with "Casual Sex?" I have no idea. But the fact that Casual Sex? is superimposed in front of it makes me think someone knows that it takes a backseat to "Casual Sex?")

2) When it ends with the main character breaking the fourth wall, smiling, hugging her friend, they look at each other, freeze frame, and end credits soundtracked by an original song that is closely connected to the movie title. Check.

3) When you have a monologue like this:

NICK
Okay that's okay. Well let me tell you,
you're making a big mistake. Because
I am gonna make it.

I'm gonna be huge. I'm gonna be
bigger than huge. I'm gonna be
on the cover of Rolling Stone
maga-NO!! Forget that. I'm gonna
be on the cover of TIME magaz-NO!
Forget that. I... I am gonna have
more fans that Elvis! Yeah! And
I won't even be dead. Think about it.
Check.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Can you explain to us why it's called "Casual Sex?" instead of "Casual Sex!" or "Casual Sex?!?" or "Casual Sex..." or "Casual: Sex"?

Alex said...

"Music by Van Dyke Parks." Wow.

Joshua Sherman said...

The trailer should answer all. And yes, this movie keeps on giving.